Workouts. Reorganization. Liquidation.
From troubled companies and international insolvencies to failed start-ups, we work with debtors, creditors and committees in high profile and middle-market restructurings.
Our Financial Restructuring Practice engages in the restructurings of highly leveraged and distressed businesses, real estate assets and portfolios of assets for clients in the United States and abroad. We implement transactional solutions and litigation strategies that produce creative, successful reorganizations both within and outside of formal bankruptcy or insolvency cases. For debtors, we anticipate financial issues and devise strategies to identify and address financial challenges before they become crises.
Our financial restructuring attorneys, as both negotiators and litigators, represent every type of major stakeholder in troubled companies and investment funds or vehicles and work with colleagues across practices to structure complex financings and to negotiate rights among various groups of creditors. This broad level of experience allows us to offer clients unique insights from a variety of perspectives, and to propose and implement effective solutions to extraordinarily difficult and complex matters.
[[Read More Delimiter]]We take a forward-thinking approach, with a four-step collaborative process:
- Analyze the existing situation and current challenges
- Discuss the risks and benefits of available options
- Create a restructuring strategy that best meets our clients’ needs
- Execute the strategy with our clients through negotiations or litigation with other stakeholders
We represent clients in formal court proceedings, from litigating confirmation of contested plans to representing debtors and creditors in valuation disputes. Outside the courtroom, we negotiate the enforcement of creditor rights and claims, debtor protections against creditors and the express terms of financial restructurings. Our attorneys pursue and defend against fraudulent transfer and preference claims, and advise borrowers and debtors on defenses to creditor claims.
Recent clients and cases include:
- Major creditors and ad hoc committees of creditors in national and cross-border cases
- Purchasers of assets in Section 363 sales and Chapter 11 plans
- Mezzanine debt and mortgage debt holders in workouts and enforcement proceedings
- Troubled financial services companies including specialty lenders and hedge funds